Sunday 8 December 2013

experiments for final piece

I have changed my final piece idea. Instead of creating a spiral that comes down from the ceiling I will create it coming out toward the viewer so it give the effect of looking through a time vortex. I have experimented with materials to come up with ways to create my final idea. Firstly I made a model of the window out of foam board then I used coloured foam to make the layers of the whole , this is in response to Jen Starks work, who use paper to create her layers. I thought this worked well as my idea was coming to life and my peers could have a feeling of what the end result would look like. I got positive feed back from my teachers who said my idea was very interesting and they liked the layering of the foam that created a tunnel going into the fake wall like a black hole. However, even if the material worked well it had disadvantages: I would not be able to get a big enough size of coloured foam. The foam isn't stable if it isn't stuck to something.
 This is my final plan for my window instillation, I have decided that the spiral will come out toward the viewer instead of spiraling down. I believe this will be more visually pleasing and also the words will be easier to read.
This is my initial plan with the spiral coming down from a whole in the ground. However I decided to alter this to the plan above as this plan had to many components and would have been too time consuming to construct.

This is another plan that I made. I liked the idea of taking something in my box and recreating it on a larger scale; my red bracelet that I got from a friend in Italy. However, I didn't like the element of painting the back ground using phosphorescent paint, and making it look like 'dripping art' similar to Jen Stark as I thought this may be to flat and simple to look at without any strong links to my other artists.

This was a tester for my final piece. I wanted to make it clear what words I was going to use in my spiral to represent my memories. I chose to write some of the words in Italian as my memories where in Italy.  I think a spiral works well as all the words are visible and it is visually pleasing, I also tried to construct a linier spiral that was made up of zig-zags, however this did not work well as I thought it looked too messy and I liked the contrast between smooth rounded and linier shaps.


Here I give an example of what I wanted my final piece t look like. I drew out a plan to show how I want to construct my fake whole in the back wall where my spiral is going to come out from. I will do this by measuring a piece of wood that is the same length as the black wall and then cut out a whole in the middle, I will then cover the wall with black material so that it looks like the back wall. This plan also shows the pattern for what I initially wanted to put on the centre spiral, but then I changed my idea and decided to put in words.

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you are getting your thoughts up here- as and when they happen. This will need adding to and editing but it it great to keep documenting your thought process. Is there images of your small test models? These were very important in helping your idea development so it's important to include them here- even if they are a little rough looking!

    You have also touched on the limitations of the materials available but this could be extended- what are the pros and cons of the materials -what would you use ideally?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any images of little testers? i know you did a purple and green one, good start nonetheless x

    ReplyDelete