Friday 1 November 2013

Peter Callesen Responses

Responses to Peter Callesen 
experiments with paper

I looked at the objects in my box and chose objects that represented a memory of my summer. I then responded to them using Callesen's style. i thought they worked well and i particularly liked the negative and positive effect that was created when shapes were cut out. first, tried to create shells with the technique. i think it worked well as the paper allowed me to curve them up in the proper shape and i was able to fold it to create the rippled effects of sea shells. However, i can develop these further by creating an image out of the negative, fore example show were the shell came from and have a scene of the beach, or i could have the shell as the negative and then create the sea creature that left the shell behind from the cut out paper.








i particularly liked the butterfly as i thought they worked well, the flaps created a simple yet effective relief. the butterflies don't have a clear link to my memories although i did see them during my summer it was not a strong aspect in my box, but i will still use this technique in my work. 


Here i cut out a tree to represent my memories at the festival and the forest rave. I like the thin branches against the black card and the intricate detail in this experiment. unfortunately I cut the wrong side, and  so it didn't stand properly. Also it would have looked better to leave more white paper on the back. from these experiments i learnt that a piece of art can be made from a white piece of paper and that i really love working in intricate details with fragile material. This technique produces visually pleasing work and it pushes my ability, i think it would work well in my final piece i just need a bit more practice!

This is my favorite idea as it shows my developments the clearest. My main sub theme was romantic tragedy, therefore as a response to peter I Callison I tried to represent this. A girl and a boy on either side of the paper trying to get to each other but there are obstacles in the way, they are held in place by a small strip of paper, trapped and with no way of getting to each other. This represents my most profound memory of the summer. I think this idea was effective as it creates n interesting metaphor like Peter Callison's work. My teachers said they really liked this response as it visually shows what my Sub theme is about.


3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This is a good start to your responses. However I know that your can push your ideas further than this. Please document all the work you have done so far. You must be clearer about where the idea came from and not just stop before it becomes more developed. I expect you to improve this post by adding a lot more detailed developmental work in response to Callesen.
    Mr B

    ReplyDelete
  2. choose one idea to develop further perhaps? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could you use his technique to imply your meaning in the final outcome? Also give examples of Calessen's work and link his work to your responses ;)

    ReplyDelete