Sunday 24 November 2013

project proposal

Art work over view
For my window instillation I would like to create a piece that communicates my memories over the summer. I have taken inspiration from a number of different artists in order to refine my final idea and help me push it to its full potential. Over the summer we were asked to keep a journal to note down memories and draw experiences and and a box to place items that we interacted with over the summer. When we got back I had loads of interesting and useful primary evidence I then started looking at artists that related to the theme memories. They all had different styles of representing memories and messages. For example Andy Whorl made time capsules and collected personal objects that representing his memories, this inspired me to collect objects over the summer. In my instillation I want to convey a sense of youthfulness that the summer brings but also the dark side of life and how memories always fade and the feeling that were once there disappear and float around in your mind. I want to use one of Callison's concepts of romantic tragedy in my work, I will use this as my sub theme to represent my most powerful memory that I want to represent.
My instillation is going to be primarily based on Peter Callison's work, For my center piece in the window i would like to make a sculpture that spirals down, i want this to look fragile, delicate and intriquet, representing how memories appear in peoples mind. The sculpture will have detailed shapes cut out of it to represent my summer memories. I will also use words to represent the music I listened to and phrases and words that represent what i was feeling and saying. This links to Ebon Heath who uses typography to represents stereotypes. I also what to light up my work with coloured lights to create atmosphere in my piece. this will like to bot Heath and Hodgkin's work. Hodgkin's uses colour in his work as is main technique to represent his personal memories in an abstract way. whereas Heath uses coloured UV lights to light up his typography this creates a bigger impact as it also creates shadow in his work. I want to use this in my piece to set a mood and also i think it will look effective and drew more attention to my window. In the background of mt window i was inspires by the artist Jen Stark who uses paper to create amazing sculptures that pop out or draw in creating the illusion of an infinite whole. her work is based on the wonders of space, The bright colours she used remind me of psychedelic art as the some of her sculptures the colours appear to be dripping like in psychedelic art. I would position this at the back of my window to give the illusion that there is a whole in the wall that leads to a different world. This would relate to my memories of psychedelic raves I went to over the summer. This would link to Hodgkin's use of colour to convey a meaning however the element that interests me the most of this technique is that fact that i could use it to show how memories fade away and get lost and mixed up in your mind.

Location
My instillation will be located in Chestnut Grove Academy. It will be situated inside the main entrance to the left after the sliding doors, in a small rectangular space that is 82cm wide and 166cm high with a width of 180cm. The instillation will be protected by a glass window in a wooden frame. The space is relatively small: The advantage of this is the final outcome is simplified and it won't take a long time to make. However the space is relatively dark and not extremely noticeable to the viewer. I will overcome these problems by adding lights this will make the space brighter and will also make it more noticeably.

Design
My piece will have a black background this will look good against the intrachetly cut thin white paper. (need images)

Materials
To create my window instillation I will need a large sheet of white paper as i want the spiral to be created from one sheets so that it flows fluidly, I also need coloured paper. I will need a black cloth for my back ground to cover the whole internal space. My design plan states that I will make a fake wall in order to create the illusion that there's a whole to another world. I will need wood in order to make this aspect. I will need UV paints to draw the melting hole that represent my rave experience. i will also need coloured lights and probably an extension lead to plug it in.

Maintenance
Overall I don't think my piece will be very high maintenance as i will make sure everything is secured tightly with fish wire (so that its not visible and gives the illusion of it floating) to the planks on top out of sight. I will also spry the paper with anti-fire spray to avoid the risk of it setting alight as the lights will get extremely hot and this could be a fire hazard.

Budget
I don't intend on spending lots of money on this project and will try my best to use objects that are readily available, However I might have to get UV paint and possibly a big role of white paper that would cost around £20.

To Conclude
I hope my final outcome will come together to create an interesting instillation that conveys my summer memories in a metaphorical way. In my work I hope to get across the meaning that memories eventually fade away and become less clear, replaced by more significant recent memories like a spiral moving down. The feeling that we once felt become blurred and all that is left behind is a snap shot of a particular moment,   forever trapped in your mind in a jumbled swirly mix.






I will cut out the acrylic mat plastic on top of a foam board so that I don't make marks on the table and also for health and safety.







This is another example of health and safety, as when I cut out my instillation piece I will try to minimize how much I accidentally hurt my self by taking precautions and regular brakes so that I don't get tired and lose focus.




We constructed these mind maps during our lesson as a group with Pamela and Johnny. We wrote down our memories that linked to the titles and the best way which we could represent them. I chose to focus on 'Enjoying Youth' as this best represents my summer experience. This created my sub- theme along with romantic tragedy.








No comments:

Post a Comment